Becoming A Piercer
Aspiring Piercers may be assisted via observation of a video, a magazine, or by attending a seminar or training class. None of these venues alone can provide the training and information required to become a piercer. It is widely agreed that an apprenticeship is the best way to learn the art of piercing.
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is defined as a specific period of guided progress through the basic, intermediate and advanced levels of piercing training. During an apprenticeship, the novice piercer should do the following:
- Review the APP Suggested Body Piercer Apprenticeship Guidelines and Curriculum
- Locate a suitable apprenticeship in a reputable studio under a well-respected, highly skilled and experienced professional.
- Attend a bloodborne pathogens training class, such as that given by APP, OSHA, Red Cross, or The National Safety Council.
- Attend a First Aid/CPR class, such as that given by Red Cross or the YMCA.
- Spend a minimum of three months full time as a trainee, learning sterilization, disinfection, cross-contamination and other health and safety issues before piercing.
- Spend a minimum of six months to one year in full-time supervised training as an apprentice before achieving the title of piercer. Location, volume and studio standards will help to determine the duration of an apprenticeship.
- Observe all procedures before attempting them, and only attempt a new procedure with close supervision by a senior/training piercer.
- Learn customer service, appropriate jewelry quality and selection, aftercare procedures, and troubleshooting.
- Attend a reputable training seminar of four days or longer. The course should combine lectures on anatomy, safety, hygiene, techniques, and hands-on piercing experience. Some states have passed legislation requiring courses in anatomy, etc. in order to be licensed for piercing.
You can find several companies dedicated to the learning, legal, and wholesale needs of piercers in the ‘Corporate Sponsor’ listing, on the “Locate an APP Member