What Is The APP?
The Association of Professional Piercers (APP) is an international health and safety organization. It is a nonprofit voluntary alliance dedicated to the dissemination of information about body piercing. Governed by a voluntary elected Board of Directors, the APP is a united group of piercing professionals that freely shares information to help fellow members, piercers, health care professionals, legislators, health inspectors, and the general public get the best and most up-to-date information about body piercing.
- Provides a professional association for piercers
- Encourages piercers to meet and/or exceed the APP set standards and provides an avenue to show the public that this standard is being met.
- Provides piercers, legislators, and the public with support and assistance in drafting appropriate legislation in the industry.
- Provides piercing technique, business, and health education classes at our Annual Conference for piercers, health inspectors, and others related to the industry.
- Provides educational and informational materials, including consumer-oriented brochures and our Health and Safety Procedure Manual for piercers.
- Attends and is involved in health related conferences.
- Provides information and professional opinions to the media, when requested and in response to erroneous information and articles about body piercing.
- Presents lectures to students, health care professionals, and other related groups.
- Publishes The Point, a quarterly newsletter dedicated to piercing related news and information for individuals in the industry.
- Does not police the piercing industry or piercers. The APP will respond to and resolve complaints against its members, in addition to those falsely claiming membership.
- Does not license or certify piercers. Members do receive a certificate of membership which must be renewed every year. Attendees of APP classes receive a seminar certificate.
- Does not allow piercings performed at its annual conference, nor does it teach people how to pierce. The APP provides supplemental education to piercers and has a number of Corporate Sponsors who provide basic piercing education.
- Does not dictate the piercing technique(s) its Members use, what aftercare they suggest, or what specific piercings they may choose to perform.
- Specifically addresses the practice of body piercing.
- Staffs an email/phone response system for individuals with questions regarding piercing.
- Maintains a comprehensive website with information for piercers, piercees, educators, legislators, health care professionals, and anyone else with questions about body piercing.
PUBLICATIONS, PRODUCTS, & EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
- For piercers, educators, medical professionals, health care personnel and the general public. Can be ordered free or at reduced cost for distribution by health care professionals.
- Many of these are available in Spanish language versions.
- Picking Your Piercer
- Important Health Considerations
- Suggested Aftercare Guidelines for Body Piercings
- Suggested Aftercare Guidelines for Oral Piercings
- Oral Piercing Risks and Safety Measures
- Know Your Rights
- Jewelry Standards
- Jewelry for Healed Piercings
- Jewelry for New Piercings
- Body Piercing Troubleshooting for You and Your Healthcare Professional
HEALTH & SAFETY PROCEDURE MANUAL
- For piercers, legislators & health inspectors
THE POINT: THE QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF THE APP:
- A forum for members of our industry to communicate ideas to piercers, legislators, medical professionals, educators and anyone else wanting to know more about body piercing and those involved with it.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Available on CD or in written format
APP T-SHIRTS - NEW DESIGNS EVERY YEAR!
APP ANNUAL CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION:
- Industry-specific classes offered on piercing techniques, aftercare, legislation, studio set-up, blood-borne pathogens, first aid, CPR, anthropology, and many more topics.
- Week-long conference with round-tables, social events, networking, etc.
- Largest body jewelry and piercing-related product expositions in the U.S.
- Package and individual class prices available
THE APP HAS FIVE TYPES OF MEMBERSHIPS:
- Professional Business Member
- Professional Business Member-at-Large
- Associate Member
- Corporate Sponsor
- Patron Member
PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS MEMBERS & PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS MEMBERS AT LARGE:
- Are body piercers.
- Uphold a set of safety and hygiene standards that are equal to, or more stringent than those established by state or local governments.
- Have at least one year of piercing experience.
- Have knowledge of appropriate sterilization and cross-contamination prevention through blood-borne pathogens training, required annually for membership.
- Must work in a studio that meets rigorous standards of environmental criteria for health, safety and sanitation.
- Undergo training and certification in CPR, and blood-borne pathogens and first aid certification; which must be renewed according to membership requirements.
- Must send in monthly spore tests results for their studio’s autoclave (sterilizer).
- Must answer an extensive questionnaire and sign a health and safety agreement.
- Are either piercers with less than a year’s experience; or ?non-piercing employees in a piercing studio (owners, counter staff, etc.)
- Must meet the same standards as our Business Members, if they are piercers; non-piercer Associates must meet studio requirements.
- Must work in a studio which has at least one APP Business member.
- Are companies who provide piercing related services to the industry.
- Some of these members include educators, jewelry manufacturers and distributors, medical suppliers, piercing aftercare manufacturers, and others.
- Must provide a letter of intent.
- Must provide extensive documentation regarding their business; and provide jewelry samples if requested.
- Those individuals who work outside the Piercing Industry, but who want to support our efforts and the APP as a whole.
- In 1994, representatives from several piercing studios organized as a political action group to address concerns with legislation (proposition AB101) in California.
- The organization quickly grew to accommodate members and provide valuable representation for the piercing profession.
- The APP is now a California non-profit dedicated to providing accurate and relevant education about body piercing, with members all over the world.
* Use of this brochure does not imply membership in the APP. A current list of APP members can be found at safepiercing.org
. False claims of membership should be reported to the APP
. The APP logo is the trademark of the Association of Professional Piercers. This brochure is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licesnses/by-nc-nd/3.0/